Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Last week was HECTIC...

Last week while I was in the midst of getting ready for good friends to come visit, and while trying to spend some fun time with the grandkids after having not seen them for a week, my oven decided to quit working.. ONE DAY BEFORE MY GUESTS WERE DUE TO ARRIVE... Not a good thing. The stove was working fine but the oven was not. I was getting ready to bake a cake (from scratch.. I think that is important to know - I was baking a cake from scratch!!) when I realized it was just not getting hot. The PreHeat light never went off. Because it was not preheating. Sooooooo, I told my non-handy-man husband about it, and he came in and started telling me numerous things to do, which I had already done. I had already checked the breaker box, turned it off, turned it back on, shook the element (not sure why I always think shaking something will make it work.. except sometime it does work), but that didn't help. He accused me of creating this problem so I could get new appliances. Whatever it takes honey! So, we made the decision to go look for a new oven the next morning, which happened to be the day our guests were arriving.

Next morning we head out to acquire new appliances, and after 3 hours, we accomplished just that. New oven, microwave and dishwasher that match the fridge we already replaced. But, they can't be delivered until the next week, two days after our guests LEAVE. I am thinking, I can handle this. I don't have to bake a cake. I will run to Fresh Market and acquire some of their fresh baked goods. Can't go wrong with that. I still have the cook top, and the grill.. All is well. NOT! Friday morning, we realize the new stove will not fit in the space we have, even though the salesman assured us it would. So, husband calls a real handy man who has worked for us previously. He comes right away, removes old stove, begins enlarging space for new stove. It is getting late in the day. He leaves and says he will be back Saturday morning. He takes old stove with him since it is now TOO SMALL for space. I now have no stove, or oven. I only have a grill, and guests for a weekend. On the upside, I now know how to cook rolls on the grill. My guests are great cooks, and were more than willing to improvise when it came to cooking.

It is now Tuesday, appliances are to be delivered tomorrow and handy man has yet to return to finish enlarging space for new stove/oven. He told husband he will finish job this morning since new appliances will be delivered tomorrow morning. Am I stressed? Noooooooo.. Do I mind eating out? Nooooooo.. Do I mind having a large gaping hole in my kitchen where my stove used to be? Noooooo.. Not at all. I don't mind messes at all. I didn't mind all that sawdust handyman created throughout my CLEAN kitchen and CLEAN dining room Friday when I had guests either. I didn't mind mopping while my guests watched. Not at all. I didn't mind dusting while they watched either. Not me. I am not OCD when it comes to cleanliness. Especially when I have guests. NOT AT ALL!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment