Friday, May 28, 2010

Life goes on...

My mama is selling her house. I never thought I would see the day she would do this without being forced to do so. She has lived in this house for 28 years, and for 26 of those years, she has lived there alone. My dad died about 2 years after they moved there. The house is not big, but it sits on three acres, and it all has to be mowed and maintained weekly. She is almost 72 and mowing 3 acres every week has started to take a toll on her. And, she still works 3 days a week at a local grocery store, and she is ready to retire from doing that as well. There is a Pentecostal Church behind her house that has wanted her house and property for quite some time. The Pastor told her if she ever got ready to sell to let him know. She met with him yesterday and they will be getting an appraisal, hopefully agree on a price, and conclude the sale by the end of June. She is leaving the town she has lived in for over 46 years and moving 20 miles down the road to another town, which is where she spends a lot of time anyway. She has friends there, she shops there, she socializes there, and it only makes sense to live there. She found an apartment in an area that only allows senior citizens over 60 to reside. She has friends that already live in that community and they love it. Although she is excited about moving somewhere new, she is very sad to be leaving her home. I am sad for her, but at the same time, I am excited about a fresh start for her.

I will head over there tomorrow to help begin the process of getting rid of things she won't be taking with her. Although her house is small, the apartment is smaller and she won't be able to use everything she has accumulated over the years. She is not one to keep things she doesn't need, so it should not be a difficult move.

I believe the move will be good for her. The road in front of her house will soon be a four lane highway, which means the highway be a lot closer to her house, and the sound of the 18 wheelers coming through will be even louder. I believe it is time for her to move on to a smaller place, with no maintenance, and lots of friends close by. I believe she will be happier, feel safer, and hopefully enjoy being a retiree. I believe fresh starts are a good thing. I believe life goes on...

No comments:

Post a Comment